Tuesday 8 January 2013

Newbie

Are you like me the 'Fat Friend'?

I have been since I was 21. Here is what happened.

UNIVERSITY

This is what turned me into the fat friend I have a couple of people to blame for this (I refuse to take full responsibility!) my best friend D and my Boyfriend P.

D and I used to have beige meals...this means that everything on the plate was the same colour, hash browns, potato croquettes, fish fingers, beans you get the idea. We were typical poor students so smart price freezer food was the way forward. Also major issue in that he worked at Greggs. He used to bring all of the left overs home for tea. All of this plus no money/desire to exercise contributed to the initial weight gain.

I met and P in the January of my first year at uni before the weight had been massivley gained. We are still together now and have a beautiful 3 yr old little girl. Now what I blame him and also LOVE him for is for not caring one little bit what size I am. I am so lucky that he tells me everyday how beautiful I am. In some silly ways I think it might have been helpful if he was more critical of my size but of course I don't really mean that!

Oh yeah I think that I have forgotten to mention that I worked at pizza hut...for 3 yrs. This certainly did not help.

The truth of the matter is that I never really noticed that I was putting on weight. It wasn't important to me in my university bubble.

The first time I noticed that I was very much overweight was when I got back my graduation photo. I would love to tell you all that i broke down in tears at the fat mess that I had become but i really didn't I just kind of thought 'Oh I look a bit different'.

Out of no where a few years later the fat friend complex came through. I am very very lucky to have very beautiful very healthy friends. They are literally all gorgeous. One of the friends K does go on diets too, but she is slimming from a size 12 which is my current aim!

Two of my very good friends got married in 2010 and I was a bridesmaid alongside the other ladies. Although they probably won't admit it but the style of dress that they both went for was more flattering to the larger lady. Even though I was the largest lady there!

I want to clarify in this my first blog post that I am not taking the title of Fat Friend as a bad thing. I am taking it as empowerment that I will no longer have that self imposed title. So if you would like to follow my journey I will try and keep it as interesting as possible starting with my cousins 1st birthday party this weekend and the challenges I may face...mmm birthday cake.

Please do comment as I want this to be as interactive as possible, any feedback/tips/chatter appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing more blog posts! I too put on a bit of weight at uni and really, things have snowballed from there. I managed to lose a fair bit a few years ago and since have put on even more. I had a real turning point today as I went back to the gym, for the first time in 2 years. I weighed myself and was rather horrified.

    So, you're not on your own. I'm determined to change too, and I know how difficult I can be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cara,

    Thanks so much! That moment when you get on the scales and all of your worst fears are realised is prettu horrifying!

    Thank you for commenting!

    x

    ReplyDelete